Thursday, August 28, 2008

Not as Great as we'd Hoped

So yesterday didn't go as well as we'd hoped it would.  Apparently, "they were disruptive all day," according to their teacher, but she didn't tell me this when they got out of class, the PRINCIPLE called me and let me know that they had some problems during the day and recommended that we have a little talk with them.  This after I'd already got them home and given them treats for having a good day, and even let them play video games a bit.  As the story unfolds though, it becomes apparent to me that they weren't really trying to be naughty, they were just confused, and it was a really long day.  They were talking back and running around, but they really thought it was time to go home, or that they should be in their class.  So anyway, Karl and I both talked to them, and Karl talked to our neighbor who works at the school and helped their teacher deal with them.  So this morning I go to the school, and the teacher has the door locked, so I go get Janet (our neighbor) at the office, and she lets me in, but by this time the bell is ringing.  I knew she didn't have time to chat, I just wanted to set up a time when we could meet.  She doesn't smile or anything, she just stares me down and tells me, "well, they were really disruptive all day yesterday, and that is just not acceptable."  So I arranged to meet with her today after school.   I am trying really hard not to be judgmental of her, I know I wasn't there, and I know the boys can misbehave and act belligerent at times, but come on lady, this was the first time I'd ever talked to her!  She hadn't even tried to talk to me!  I approached her!  Well, I haven't heard from the school yet today, so that's hopefully a good sign,  but I wasn't happy when I found out they'd be in the same class, and I was really unhappy when I found out it was a K-1 class, so Karl and I have pretty much decided that we're going to drive them into town to a different school.  I just feel like their teacher has already labeled them as trouble, which means it's going to take a lot longer for them to adjust to her if she treats them differently, so I'd rather just put them in a better equipped school where they can have different teachers and they're not going to be lumped together as a unit.  Nobody could tell me who did what and when, it was just they, they they!  I HATE THAT!  I know it wasn't both of them ALL DAY!  I talked to them, and Joe is a very reliable source for a five year old, and he admitted to crying and trying to put his back pack on to go home, but that is NOT very naughty to me.  Ben on the other hand... but I still don't think he was purposefully being bad.  I love them both so much, and I wish it had gone better for them.  They really are good, good little boys, both of them.  They're very sweet, and kind, and they stick up for each other till the end, and that is not a bad characteristic if you ask me!  I want them to respect adults and authority, but too much respect for any authority figure, just because they're an adult is what gets good sweet submissive children into serious trouble.  I've always taught my kids that if they don't feel comfortable, to stand up and do something about it, and I'd rather them be a little disruptive in a place that they're not yet comfortable with yet, then just sit back and do nothing in  a bad situation with a bad person (not talking about school...).  Oh well, I hope they're doing better today.  I know this is kind of rambley, but I'm pretty worked up so this is more of a vent than a real post.

2 comments:

joelandbecca said...

Um, I can not believe they are in the same class. That whole thing makes me so sad. I can not believe the teacher did not speak with you first. What is the deal? I am in total agreement-she needs to step up. And I also do not like the "they" concept. Poor sweet boys. I do hope it went a lot better, but I totally do not blame you if you decide to move them to a different school.

Anayansi said...

oh, i am so sorry that it was so bad the first day. what a horrible way to introduce the concept of school to the boys. hopefully, things will go better. maybe they can put them in different classes with new teachers. good luck with it all.