Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Booster Shots and Spaghetti Dinner!

THis was written yesterday on my other blog, but I decided to move it over here to this one!


Today the boy's had there school health exam at their doctors office.  It took a long time!  Each boy had their hearing and vision tested, their height and weight recorded, and a full physical including coordination and reflexes (which been tried to fake).  They also gave the boys books, Ben got Where the Wild Things Are, and Joe got a really cute one called, A Pocket Full of Kisses, because they're starting school.  Then the doctor informed me that they still needed their booster shots.  So, before we got to the doctors I had told the boys that if they were all good, and if I didn't have to tell them to stop or be quiet too many times I'd take them to get a donut afterwards.  So now, with this news of shots, and not just one or two, but three shots, plus an anemia test which includes a finger prick and finger squeezing, I went ahead and upped the reward.  I told them that they could get one donut for every shot they got bravely.  After I offered that  Joe exclaimed,"I want 10 shots!" to which Ben responded, "Me too!" to which I responded, "we'll see about that!"  When the nurse came in with the shots, they both back pedaled pretty quickly, but I got Ben to sit up on the exam table and he was very brave, only on the third shot did he succumb to real tears, but you can' really blame him for that.  Then it was Joe's turn, but he'd just watched Ben get all three of his shots and he wasn't having it!  He bolted for the door quick as a wink and was out in the hallway in a flash.  Too bad there wasn't anywhere to go, I was able to grab him, but he was like getting a dog into a bathtub and he latched on to the door frame on the way in.  He was howling and crying, so I had to carry him in and hold him on my lap and wrap my legs around his to keep him still enough for the shots.  Just a little dramatic!  So anyway, they did just fine and were done crying by the time we got back into the waiting room, and I followed through with my offer and got them three donuts each.  Sam lucked out, he got three donuts and no shots, but whatever, he had to endure the wait and boredom that goes with going to the doctor with your older brothers.
So I made homemade spaghetti sauce tonight with sweet italian sausage, brown mushrooms, green bell pepper, and fresh basil.  It was pretty rockin!  I decided as we were sitting down for dinner to see what Violet would do with a bowl of it, since she's been doing fine with real rice and even chunks of peeled grapes, so I served her up some, with just a drizzle of sauce for flavor, and she loved it!  I think she felt really included because she talked all through dinner and slurped up handfuls of cut up noodles.  She made the usual "baby with spaghetti" mess, but it was totally worth it!  I'm just curious how it's going to come out tomorrow, I can't remember if it digests well or not, it'll probably be fine!

No comments: